Monday, August 22, 2011

Two Responses to Persecution

There are two main responses to persecution:

Run and hide.
or
Stand and fight!

For the first option: Run and hide

When the enemy attacks, we can choose to tuck tail and run, to turn from God, to shut our mouths, to close our eyes, to cover our ears and to hide away from all our fears, doubts and pains in a futile attempt to seek safety and miss out on all God's work and blessings in our lives and allow the enemy a short-lived victory.

When the enemy attacks, we can stop our teaching and preaching and writing and reading and sharing and living for God to try to save our families and friends from the attacks of the enemy.

But...

Is there actually anything we can do to keep our families and friends safe?

For the second option: Stand and fight

When the enemy attacks, we can choose to stand firm and fight hard, to plant our feet on God's path, to open our mouths with His words, to look up into His face, to listen to His promises and to confront face-to-face every fear, doubt and pain that sets itself up against God since this earth is not our home and to partake in God's bountiful feast and unconditional love in our lives.

When the enemy attacks, we can double our efforts of teaching, preaching, writing, reading, sharing and living for God because we know that He is the only One who holds our families and friends in his hands.

Sunday night, a thought flitted across my mind: If I stopped being so open about my faith in God, would my 
family and friends suffer less?

While there may be some truth in that statement, it is a lie from the enemy.

First of all, my family and friends are not in my hands, but God's.

Secondly, God may allow all kinds of trials in any life He chooses.

Thirdly, the devil can attack anyone he decides.

Fourthly and most importantly, Jesus specifically warns against putting even family above God: 
"Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it." ~ Matthew 10:37-39

So, I have a question:
 
What will you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment