Thursday, September 22, 2011

Christ's example

As I contemplated the pain of separation from family early Monday morning, God brought to mind the example He set for us by sending His One and Only Son to become a man and die on a cross.
 
We are following in His footsteps whenever we do not claim whatever ease may be ours but rather live as those who have so much less.
 
Recently, I realized how the American dream is basically the opposite of Christ's example. A speaker at Passion 2011 talked about how it is the devil who strives for more and more while Christ continues to lower himself by becoming a man then dying on a cross.
 
"Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
Who being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death--even death on a cross!
Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name,
that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father."
~ Philippians 2:5-11
 
"To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.
'He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth.'
When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly. He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed. For you were like sheep going astray, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls."
~ 1 Peter 2:21-25
 
If ever the pain of saying good-bye becomes too much to bear, we have one who gave up heaven itself for us, and He understands more than anyone else ever could.
 
"Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might destroy him who holds the power of death--that is, the devil--and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death. For surely it is not angels he helps, but Abraham's descendants. For this reason he had to be made like his brothers in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people. Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted."
~ Hebrews 214-18
 
You are not and never will be alone.
 
"Then Jesus came to them and said, 'All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.'"
~ Matthew 28:18-20
 
"The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."
~ Deuteronomy 31:8
 
"O Lord, you have searched me and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O Lord.
You hem me in--behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.
Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.
If I say, 'Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,'
even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."
~ Psalm 139:1-16 ~
 
We miss all those who have moved away to follow God's leading, but greater is our joy to see them walking in the truth!

Cling to Jesus!
Your sister in Christ,
Kaelyn
Psalm 63:8

No comments:

Post a Comment