Friday, December 16, 2011

Q and A with Jesus

Nicodemus: How can a man be born again when he is old?

Jesus: I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You must be born again.' The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.

Nicodemus: How can this be?

Jesus: You are Israel's teacher and do not understand these things? I tell you the truth, we speak of what we know, and we testify to what we have seen, but still you people do not accept our testimony. I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things? No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven--the Son of Man. Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life. For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son. This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God.

Samaritan woman: You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman. How can you ask me for a drink?

Jesus: If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.

Samaritan woman: Where can you get this living water? Are you greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well and drank from it himself, as did also his sons and his flocks and herds?

Jesus: Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.

Jesus' disciples: Could someone have brought him food?

Jesus: My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work. Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest'? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest. Even now, the reaper draws his wages, even now he harvests the crop for eternal life, so that the sower and the reaper may be glad together. Thus the saying 'One sows and another reaps' is true. I sent you to reap what you have not worked for. Others have done the hard work, and you have reaped the benefits of their labor.

Crowd: Rabbi, when did you get here?

Jesus: I tell you the truth, you are looking for me, not because you saw miraculous signs but because you ate the loaves and had your fill. Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. On him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.

Crowd: What must we do to do the works God requires?

Jesus: The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.

Crowd: What miraculous sign then will you give that we may see it and believe you? What will you do? Our forefathers ate the manna in the desert; as it is written: 'He gave them bread from heaven to eat.'

Jesus: I tell you the truth, it is not Moses who has given you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.

Jews: How can this man give us his flesh to eat?

Jesus: I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him. Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your forefathers ate manna and died, but he who feeds on this bread will live forever.

Jesus' disciples: This is a hard teacher. Who can accept it?

Jesus: Does this offend you? What if you see the Son of Man ascend to where he was before! The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life. Yet there are some of you who do not believe. This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled him.

(John 6:66 is one of the saddest verses in the Bible: From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.)

Jesus to the Twelve: You do not want to leave too, do you?

Peter: Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. We believe and know that you are the Holy One of God.

Jews: How did this man get such learning without having studied?

Jesus: My teaching is not my own. It comes from him who sent me. If anyone chooses to do God's will, he will find out whether my teaching comes from God or whether I speak on my own. He who speaks on his own does so to gain honor for himself, but he who works for the honor of the one who sent him is a man of truth; there is nothing false about him. Has not Moses given you the law? Yet not one of you keeps the law. Why are you trying to kill me?

Crowd: You are demon-possessed. Who is trying to kill you?

Jesus: I did one miracle, and you are all astonished. Yet, because Moses gave you circumcision (though actually it did not come from Moses, but from the patriarchs), you circumcise a child on the Sabbath. Now if a child can be circumcised on the Sabbath so that the law of Moses may not be broken, why are you angry with me for healing the whole man on the Sabbath? Stop judging by mere appearances, and make a right judgment.

Pharisees: Where is your father?

Jesus: You do not know me or my Father. If you knew me, you would know my Father also. I am going away, and you will look for me, and you will die in your sin. Where I go, you cannot come.

Jews: Will he kill himself? Is that why he says, 'Where I go, you cannot come'?

Jesus: You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am the one I claim to be, you will indeed die in your sins.

Jews: Who are you?

Jesus: Just what I have been claiming all along. I have much to say in judgment of you. But he who sent me is reliable, and what I have heard from him I tell the world. When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am the one I claim to be and that I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me; he has not left me alone, for I always do what please him. If you hold on to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. 

Jews: We are Abraham's descendants and have never been slaves of anyone. How can you say that we shall be set free?

Jesus: I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. I know you are Abraham's descendants. Yet you are ready to kill me, because you have no room for my word. I am telling you what I have seen in the Father's presence, and you do what you have heard from you father.

Jews: Abraham is our father.

Jesus: If you were Abraham's children then you would do the things Abraham did. As it is, you are determined to kill me, a man who has told you the truth that I heard from God. Abraham did not do such things. You are doing the things your own father does.

Jews: We are not illegitimate children. The only Father we have is God himself.

Jesus: If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and now am here. I have not come on my own; but he sent me. Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say. You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies. Yet because I tell you the truth, you do not believe me! Can any of you prove me guilty of sin? If I am telling the truth, why don't you believe me? He who belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God.

Jews: Aren't we right in saying that you are a Samaritan and demon-possessed?

Jesus: I am not possessed by a demon, but I honor my Father and you dishonor me. I am not seeking glory for myself; but there is one who seeks it, and he is the judge. I tell you the truth, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death.

Jews: Now we know that you are demon-possessed! Abraham died and so did the prophets, yet you say that if anyone keeps your word, he will never taste death. Are you greater than our father Abraham? He died, and so did the prophets. Who do you think you are?

Jesus: If I glorify myself, my glory means nothing. My Father, whom you claim as your God, is the one who glorifies me. Though you do not know him, I know him. If I said I did not, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and keep his word. Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad.

Jews: You are not yet fifty years old, and you have seen Abraham!

Jesus: I tell you the truth, before Abraham was born, I am!

Disciples: Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?

Jesus: Neither this man nor his parents sinned, but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life. As long as it is day, we must do the work of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.

Jesus: Do you believe in the Son of Man?

The man born blind: Who is he, sir? Tell me so that I may believe in him.

Jesus: You have now seen him; in fact, he is the one speaking with you.

The man: Lord, I believe.


Jesus always answers sincere questions, hidden thoughts and untested assumptions with sound truth, reasonable logic and return questions.

Jesus still answers questions today and knows us by name. Whenever someone claims to have heard from Jesus, test the words against the Scriptures to see if they match what He has spoken in His written word.

Excerpt from my journal entry on Saturday, November 1, 2003:

Kaelyn (me): God, you are so good to me! Why do you bless me so much?

Jesus (through the Holy Spirit): Because I love you.

Kaelyn (me): But I don't deserve one blessing.

Jesus (through the Holy Spirit): I know. I do it because I love you.

Kaelyn (me): I don't understand that kind of love. I sin, rebel, am disobedient and make a mess, and yet you bless me and love me. Thank you. I can NEVER repay you, not in infinity. I love you so much. I want to please you with all my heart.

Excerpt from my journal entry on Sunday, November 9, 2003:

Kaelyn (me): I love you. You are worthy of all our glory, honor and praise. I am so proudful. How do I get rid of pride?

Jesus (through the Holy Spirit): Be a servant.

Excerpt from my journal entry on Monday, November 10, 2003:

Kaelyn (me): How do I make my attitude so I can make the biggest difference?

Jesus (through the Holy Spirit): Imitate Christ.

Excerpt from my journal entry on Saturday, December 13, 2003:

Kaelyn (me): Do I think I'm better than others? Oh, God, humble me, please. I'm desperate! I want to be like you. I want to grow in my relationship with you.

Jesus (through the Holy Spirit): Are you willing to go out of your comfort zone?



Excerpt from my journal entry on Monday, June 21, 2004:

Kaelyn (me): Jesus, how did you stay focused on your Father while you were on earth?

Jesus (through the Holy Spirit): Because He sent me just like I am sending you.

Kaelyn (me): Yes, I can see that, but there are so many distractions.

Jesus (through the Holy Spirit): I know, Kaelyn, but I created you to need love and attention so I could lavish it on you from all different sources.

Remember: Test the Spirit.


"Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world." ~ 1 John 4:1-3 

No comments:

Post a Comment